Playing CDs (revised)

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to play CDs through my sound card, I'm
merely trying to get the CD drive attached to my computer to spin and play
an audio CD so that I can plug my earphones into the jack directly on the
drive.

This is why I am baffled:

In the gnumach source, the ide-cd.c driver (which finds my ATAPI IDE
CD-Rom drive) supports all of the ioctl functionality available on linux
(in fact, it is in the linux sub-folder; hopefully I'm not
misunderstanding something here).  This leads me to believe that there is
driver support in mach, but when I open /dev/hd1 (which mounds data CDs
correctly), any time I try to issue audio CD-specific ioctl requests, I
get "inappropriate ioctl for device".  Is there something about how the
device files work with translators in /dev or does hurd
treat my CD drive as a regular ide device (using ide.c as
the driver) because it is located at /dev/hd1?

Thanks,
Tom