Re: /X11R6/lib

Quoth Marcus Brinkmann:

> X11R6 shouldn't exist even on Linux, if you ask me.  I am all for it.

Yes, perhaps an even better idea would be to replace /X11R6 with a
symlink to ".".  I this time, I took the safe route replacing only
/X11R6/lib with a symlink to ../lib.

Is there a way that I could create a separate (chroot) environment on my
hurd box to test these somewhat radical changes without having to boot
between them?  Like debootstrap in Debian/Linux?

> I can send you a dpkg-shlibdeps which will be functional but spit out a lot
> of warnings.

Thanks, that would be nice.  As I understand the current scheme of
things, dpkg-shlibdeps is confused when ldd finds stuff in /lib that
dpkg says should be in /usr/lib?

> If there are no actual file conflicts which introduce bugs, you
> shouldn't notice a difference.  But then, unexpected things may
> happen.

Except for the standard /usr/lib/X11 -> ../X11R6/lib symlink (which I
deleted - hope that's not horrible), there didn't seem to be any file
conflicts.  Indeed, if any libraries in /lib, /usr/lib, or /usr/X11R6/lib
should have the same filename, wouldn't this be bad also if the
directories are separate?

For some happy news, xterm now works.  (and completely unrelated, bug
#78372 is closed in shellutils 2.0.11-7).

Oystein
--
When in doubt: Flaunt.