Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

"Andreas L. Gustafsson" <ante@update.uu.se> writes:

> Huh!? Is there two different kernels available?

Yes, GNU Mach and oskit Mach. Debian GNU/Hurd will install the former.
I don't think there deb packages for oskit mach, you'll have to roll
your own. Searching the archives of this list for "oskit" should
provide plenty of good information ... better than I could provide at
least.

> It's not a good way to spread the word if you have to search the archiove
> of this list to find such info.

Efforts to document the Hurd are few and not concentrated. Most people
active in the Hurd area would rather compile more stuff/hack
code/write to this list.

> Seriously, I do think that to make Hurd more popular and more widely used
> we need to move away from the .deb way only as fast as possible.

What Farid said: nobody stops anybody from doing things differently.

> The most popular Linux systems out there is still rpm based, and to
> attract more developers to Hurd I think we need a distro based on
> something else than .deb, but I think that this might not be the
> best place to discuss it.

I for one, would be interested in how deb/dpkg does not work for you.
I think pointing out these problems is still apporpriate for a Debian
list, as these could be genuine bugs in dpkg (i.e. we could make it
better), things that Debian GNU/Hurd does wrong, or simply
misunderstandings! Of course, the details of implementing a "ports" or
"rpm" or whatever-based Hurd distributions are not really apporpriate
here.

BTW, your popularity argument has a serious flaw: the most common way
to distribute software is not "rpm", but "zip"/"exe".

--
Robbe