Re: Update...

Jeff Bailey wrote:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 04:33:07PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

This eventually led me to try and compile a
new dpkg.

dpkg is not ready to be compiled without patches, but Wichert
knows about most of the problems. It's best not to touch it.
Why again did you want a new dpkg?

Mostly to see if I could get libstdc++2.10-dev to install without complaining about libc6-dev not being installed. libc0.2-dev appears to have libc6-dev in the 'provides' line, so I figured it was probably a bug in dpkg.

That's the spirit Jeff! unfortunately, no released dpkg gets it right.
The problem is that it is a versioned dependency (>= 2.something),
and this can't be fulfilled with an unversioned provides in current
dpkgs. We have to wait. (Or help Ben fixing it).

It's not a big deal. What I do now is dpkg -i g++*dev libstdc++*dev for the duration of any compile, and then remove them after if I need to do any further upgrades.

You can add a dummy package entry for libc6-dev with a proper
Version line in /var/lib/dpkg/status (The package equivs is
intended to automate such pseudo packages).

Marcus