Hurd CD

Hi,

A kind of report on where the Hurd CD is at.  Comments please.

Size.

The last pre-pool CD was 645 MB.  This CD was limited to Hurd packages
only.  Since then 9 MB of Hurd packages has been added making a total of
654 MB. So there are now two CDs. However, since the introduction of pool
there is no easy way I can see to prevent non-Hurd *all.deb packages in
pool being included on the CDs.  Initially this meant that the second CD
was 316 MB.  However, kde, task-* and kernel packages were added to the
exclude list which brought the size of the second CD down to 186 MB.  This
problem is going to get worse as pool expands.  Suggestions of packages to
add to exclude would be welcome.

alpha.gnu.org.

These packages have been added to the main tree.  These packages are also
in the exclude list as well.  This means that these are are excluded
before the alpha.gnu packages are added thus avoiding duplication.

Package ordering.

../tasks/Debian-sid controls the order in which packages are added to
the CDs after the base, important etc packages have been added.  The file
list for the pre-pool CD is the basis of this list.  Since dependency
checking has been disabled there is no reasonable way to ensure that the
dependencies on the first disc have been met.  However, the second disc
only contains optional and extra packages.

Apt.

This is needed to cope with the two CDs, unless we go backwards and go for
the multi-cd option.  Apt would make the building of CDs so much easier!!!

Locales and dpkg-dev are now on the CDs.

What this means.  We can still have HURD CDs during the transition to
pool.

boot-floppies needs to be tweaked and then everything is ready for the new
tarball.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818