Progress on the Hurd CDs, E series.

The debian-cd scripts for the E series have been built.  Some slight
cosmetic changes should be done to the boot-floppies.

Size:- CD1; 622 MB, 1234 packages:  CD2; 352 MB, 496 packages.

All packages have been moved to main/binary-hurd-i386/* and the
"classical" file structure has been preserved with the addition of pool,
non-free and non-US directories.  All non-US .deb's are on CD1, all
non-free on CD2.  This means that all installation tools should work.

At the moment dependency checking has been disabled so all packages are
included, except those on the exclusion list.  This could be changed if
required.  However, debian-cd will _not_ include badly built packages and
I am reluctant to try to disable this.

The test installation was the best so far. dselect was used and the
dependency problem was not as bad as feared.  There were far fewer crashes
than in previous installations.  I suspect the Hurd, dselect and my AMD K5
machine (32 MB RAM, 50 MB swap) don't get on very well.  The machine
bought a couple of farms.

A new tarball can be dropped in with little effort.  The second CD boots
off the Hurd installation compact boot image.

Once everything has been tided up I would describe the boot-disks as beta
and the CD as a whole as a good alpha.

Help wanted.

1.  Should the dependency checking be disabled?  (I would suggest yes).

2.  What is the status of apt in relationship to the CD?  apt is on the
exclusion list, yet people use it by forcing its installation.  Should it
be removed from the exclusion list?  Should it be in a directory of its
own, with possibly a simple installation script?

3.  What should be in the exclusion list?  exclude.txt will be on my
site www.copyleft.co.nz/exclude.txt in an hour or so.  It will be able
to be accessed from the bottom of the index page.  Comments please.

Thanks.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818