Re: any interest in kORbit?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Christopher Browne wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:41:28 EST, the world broke into rejoicing as
> "Kleinmann, Peter G" <pklein@lehman.COM>  said:
> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-09-013-20-NW-GN-KN
> >
> > this article in LinuxToday is about a corba interface built into the
> > kernel, allowing user-space servers to handle system calls, etc.
>
> ... An interesting proof of concept of what I'd consider a Pretty
> Daft Idea.
I think it sounds like a pretty nice idea, but not somethng you'd really
use. That they haven't implemented security is pretty daft though.

> It makes some sense to introduce something like this to Hurd, but
> it's not likely to make it into Linux any time soon.
Well, it's in the GNU task list for the HURD.

> > I don't know how many services are already offered by the HURD, but
> > kORbit sounds like a nice transitional technology for bringing in more
> > services developed for linux, and for making future line enhancements
> > equally available to HURD.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I would think it _quite_ sensible to implement an ORB as a Hurd
> service; this could provide some interesting strategies for the
> implementation of things like the Implementation Repository; many
> of the services could be virtualized so that they may look like
> filesystems.
> [snip]
> ... Which basically is demonstrating a mapping of the standard
> Naming Service onto a directory structure...
Could be good for CORBA aware shell scripts :)

--
"The Information Superhighway made it possible for the average person
to find out what some nerd thinks about Star Trek"

http://lit.compsoc.com/
http://www.litsu.ie/

GPG Fingerprint: B6C4 9E2B C62F 1B05 FC0D  F543 6800 67C7 FF5D 8291