Re: Plex86 boots GRUB

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:54:36AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> plex86 CVS version boots GRUB. This means that you can try to boot gnumach
> and eventually the Hurd in plex86. With increasing performance of plex86,
> this might be a good alternative to dual boot under some circumstances.
> Especially in favor of certain non-free products.
>
> You can get plex86 from www.plex86.org. Check out the CVS version and follow
> the build instructions. To actually boot grub, you can use a grub floppy
> disk. A config file comes with plex86 (conf/grub). I had to use a real disk
> /dev/hdX to get grub to access the filesystem, a disk image wouldn't work,
> but maybe I just didn't know how to do it.
>
> I tried to boot gnumach, but it dies in fpu_init() when trying to access
> fpe_reg_segment. That's a gnumach kernel panic, but should be a bug in
> plex86, or a missing feature. I disabled this by replacing #define FPE 1
> in i386/bogus/fpe.h with #undef FPE. Then gnumach came further along, until
> somewhere in serverboot I think. Then plex86 crashes really hard. A similar
> crash I get with oskit-mach, but a bit earlier I think.

There might be some issues with the FPU code. As I understand it, as long
as the host CPU supports FPU instructions there shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe it can even be disabled. That can make it easier for me to work
on gnumach's FPU emulation (yes, I still want to make it work right :-).
After exams that is...

Igor