obscure cross-install failure

  Hi Again,
    Still working on getting the hurd installed. I was running cross-install
    and getting all the .deb's, I got all the base pkgs and 2 optional ones
    (less and ed) and suddenly it aborted with a strange, and uninformative
    (in my opinion) message. Maybe it means so much more, to someone on this
    list?

    (BTW - I've re-run it several times and It's getting the same error).
    It installs all base packages, and begins work on optional, heres the
    output at that point:

**snip**

Installing optional packages, this may take some time.
- /home/nick/hurd-install/partial/less_358-1.deb
- /home/nick/hurd-install/partial/ed_0.2-18.deb

ERROR: dpkg did return unusual messages, please investigate:
INSTALLATION ABORTED!

warning, 'temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field 'Origin'
warning, 'temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field 'Bugs'
dpkg-deb: ignoring 2 warnings about the control files(s)
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not configured.
  hurd provides login but is unpacked but not configured.
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not configured.

INSTALLATION ABORTED because of unknown errors. Partial installation
is NOT usable. Correct the error and start from scratch.

**snip**

   Any insight into this show-stopping error is greatly appreciated!

--
  -  Nick Jennings
smtp: nick@namodn.com