Re: some questions on Hurd

> > > In libports: there are buckets (port sets) and classes (???) what is the difference, how should I interprete classes?
> >
> > A port class defines how a ``type'' of port is destroyed etc.  A port
> > bucket is a collection of ports (of any class).
> >
> This has puzzled me for a while, too. Am I right that (speaking C++) a
> port bucket is a container while the port class is in fact a property of a
> port(the C++ class)?

One analogy I use is the following:

A person needs to send a message to someone else so they hire a messenger.
The messenger gets in his vehicle (i.e. his port) and starts it (class:
is it a gas car?  an electric one? some thing else?  Internally they all
start differently) and gets on the road that takes him to where he is going
(bucket: more than one type of vehicle can travel on a road, however, each
road has its own rules, etc.).

> Which brings me to another question: The Documentation on the Hurd (hurd.ps)
> which I got from the web is often confusing, especially according to whether a
> function was supplied by a lib or required to be provided to a lib.
>  Since this is a task where you can´t mess things up, I´d volonteer to update
> that documentation (is it the latest: (c) says 1994,1998 ? ).

Please do!

> Also related to this topic: The Linux kernel-people are using DocBook to
> extract documentation from the source - I think that helps a lot. (lazy me
> rather codes than maintains external docs... )

TeX-info is the official text processor for gnu projects.   However, I
know nothing about DocBook.

-Neal

--
Neal H Walfield