Re: Colour & filesystem translators

Am Don, 30 Nov 2000 15:49:24 schrieb David Neary:
> I compiled a custom hurd post-install, and installed an entry for it in
> menu.lst. When I booted this new kernel & module (I also recompiled
> GNUmach), all of the translators which were there before were no longer
> active, and I had to re-set them.

Are you talking about active or passive translators?
Active translators always vanish when you reboot, as they are
only processes. Passive translators never go away by themselve.

> This is despite the fact that they had
> entries in /etc/fstab (this may have a completely different significance
> than it does under linux).

Indeed. It is only used by fsck and swapon -a at boot time.

> I've seen here explained as a source diff between the CVS and the Debian
> kernel) which was a little annoying was an apparrent lack of colour in
> the terminal - am I right in this being a known issue, and are there any
> plans to address it?

It's exactly what you say. The CVS and Debian kernel differ.

> That's about it - sorry if this comes across as complaining - I guess
> I'm just looking for a little deeper insight into how the Hurd ticks, to
> some extent. By the way, every time I change modules, I lose the old
> translators.

While what you said above makes sense (when you mean active translators),
this doesn't. There are no modules in the Hurd system. You should be
more specific on how you set the translator, and what makes you think
they went away after doing what.

> One tiny other thing - the serverboot.gz I compiled from source is 700K,
> the one shipped with debian is 350K (both IIRC - there's a substantial
> size difference) - any idea what the difference is?

The Debian version is stripped and doesn't contain debugging symbols.

Marcus