gnumach recompilation glitch

Hi,

I only started using Hurd recently (okay so Slashdot finally got me to
try it, but I had been meaning to for a while). I've got it
successfully installed on a separate partition, and hope to start
fully looking at the source soon.

However, I've had a slight problem recompiling mach, it compiles and
boots well, except that it doesn't like "ls --color", it just ignores
the colour commands (they exist if piped through less). The
pre-compiled kernel works fine in this respect. I've no idea what's
causing this problem and don't like to start looking through the
source until I know I can at least compile it properly.

Also, I've enabled the kernel debugger, but I'm not sure how to
activate it, could anyone help?

Thanks.

Tim N.