Re: Failing dependencies

José Roberto B. de A. Monteiro <betoes@igbt.sel.eesc.sc.usp.br> writes:

> I found some dependencies problems too. The problem I found was in
> console-data. It depends on console-tools and on console-tools-libs.
> Is it normal? There isn't console-tools for HURD yet?

Exactly, so console-data does not make much sense (it's there because
it's platform-independent). BTW, there is a loadkeys-like utility
somewhere, but that's not packaged.

> Another problem concerns netbase. It depends on a lot of packages
> that doesn't appear to be available. Those packages are ipfwadm,
> ipchains, ipforward, net-tools, etc...

The whole firewalling stuff is not supported by the current hurd.
These dependencies will actually vanish in the future, they are just
there to smoothen upgrades. Are you missing specific things from
netbase? If not, just leave it uninstalled.

The general problem is that some Priority fields are not overly
correct for hurd-i386. That together with dselect's zeal to have all
required/important/standard packages installed creates most of these
glitches.

For the moment, one workaround is to use another package selector. I
like aptitude - the current debian source should compile cleanly, and
there's an inofficial binary deb at
<URL:http://pluto.tuwien.ac.at/~robbe/debian/hurd/aptitude_0.0.7.4-1.deb>

--
Robbe