Re: Reinstallation problems

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:57:23PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 03:12:58PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had Hurd working fine in a 520 Mb hard-disk and I decided to move it
> > to another hard disk. The new hard-disk is about 1,7 GB so I've done a
> > partition of 900 MB ( < 1 GB). Well, after cross-installing hurd and
> > booting in single user mode, I get that ext2fs.static can't mount the
> > partition because it's too big.
>
> The complete error message may be helpful. You should copy it from the
> screen directly, and not summarize what you think it says.

I don't remember it now... Maybe the next time. It complains about
that vmap can't map whole disk and it simply can't mount the drive...

> > Now, my partition table of that hard disk looks like this:
[snip]

> > And to create the filesystem, I'm using the potato's e2fs utils with:
> >    mke2fs /dev/hdb1 -O sparse_super -o none -L HURD
> > which always worked for me in the old drive.
>
> "-o none" is wrong! Where did you get this? It should be -o hurd.

Oh sorry... typo error. I used hurd always; giving none here returns a
completly different error, and I also tried without the -L
HURD as somebody said, but that makes no difference. -L only sets the
ext2 label...

> > I'm using gnumach_1.2-5.deb and hurd_20000803.deb. Both worked fine
> > also with the other drive.
>
> Can you try gnuamch 1.2-6, please?

Ok I'll try, but I've cross-compiled my the cvs gnumach kernel and
also doesn't works. I think it's a problem of gnumach with my drive,
so it can't get the correct partition size.

I will try to reinstall it also in my old drive (500 MB), and if
works, I will try to patch gnumach if I can find the error.

Thanks