Re: kmsg --- get the boot messages

   Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:27:34 +0200
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   Am Son, 24 Sep 2000 19:52:34 schrieb OKUJI Yoshinori:
   > From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
   > Subject: kmsg --- get the boot messages
   > Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:59:46 +0200
   >
   > > The ^C indicates that you need to press CTRL-C to exit, because
   > > the read blocks. Also, the buffer is FLUSHED, so you can only read once.
   >
   >   So we should port klogd to Hurd, so that we can see kernel messages
   > as many times as we like. This shouldn't be difficult.

   The syslogd in inetutils has (or will have) support for the
   kernel log device.
   (I think the default here is /dev/log, so should we change to
   settrans /dev/log /hurd/streamdev/kmsg ?).

/dev/klog, /dev/log is the socket used for normal syslog messages.

   An extra klogd is superfloous. (The linux people say that it is
   needed to avoid loss of messages, but I don't know. Another feature
   in the linux klogd is to use the system map to decode addresses).

Yep, there is no real need for klogd.

   I am not positive about the current version, but the version of
   syslogd in CVS of inetutils has this support.

The BSD syslogd (from which the inetutils syslogd is derived) can read
from /dev/klog, which works fine under Linux for me.

Mark