Re: Bad LIF Image Error on Install for C8000 and J6750

Hi,

> Drive type   : vendor 'HP' product 'DVD-ROM 305' revision '1.01'

No listing of profiles ?
(The GET CONFIGURATION command appears first in MMC-2 together
 with the first mentioning of DVD. So a DVD drive should know it.)

It's probably a Pioneer DVD-305 drive.
cdrdao lists it as as exception from "MMC compliant" drives
needing the "plextor" driver and not "generic-mmc".
  http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html

So it might really be too old for telling MMC profiles.

> http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-9000/DVD-ROM-305-supports-which-types-of-DVD/td-p/3506773#.VAbTnESKnZ8
> "I've had issues with the HP DVD-ROM reading CD-RW and CD-R discs."

This might indicate a systematic problem or just be some
deterioration of an individual DVD drive.

Because the drive is quite surely old old and possibly
worn-off, it might be worth for Jawahar Panchal to try
different media.
DVD+RW or DVD-RW would be no waste.
CD-R would be wasteful but also give hope for better
physical readability than CD-RW.

Helge:
Since you have a drive, you can make own read tests.

I have googled for LIF and HP booting.
(I actually operated storage devices with this no-hierarchy
 filesystem of HP in the 1980s.)
  http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdir/

Your README confirms that the PALO boot block is indeed supposed
to bear the LIF magic number 0x80 0x00.

So if the firmware complains about the lack of this magic,
it is probably unable to read the first block with these two
bytes from the CD-RW.
This block is not used by mounting.

The first two bytes could just be inquired by:

  dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2 count=1 | od -c

which should yield

  1+0 records in
  1+0 records out
  2 bytes (2 B) copied, 0.0105 s, 0.2 kB/s
  0000000 200  \0
  0000002

If this does not yield "0000000 200  \0", then it should
report some i/o error.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas