Re: Architecture removal and social contract

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:27:22PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> [...]
>
> 1) what's the cost of letting the unstable buildds run on a "don't
> care" basis? (question which I asked before and which remained
> unanswered)
> 2) what's to become of the hppa hardware currently in "Debian's
> hands"? (autobuilders, porter boxes): if the port is gone, maybe they
> can be put to better use elsewhere?
> 3) is it acceptable that such a decision, which has a clear impact on
> our users (and thus "breaches" social contract #4) be made by
> delegation, and not by voting?
>
> > 1) debian-ports is not part of the Debian infrastructure to date (even
> >   though it runs on some Debian-sponsored hardware), but rather a
> >   volunteer independent initiative managed by Aurelien. People who
> >   benefit already or who might benefit in the future from debian-ports
> >   services, should really think about volunteering to help Aurelien.
> >
> >   This is not specifically for you, Thibaut, but rather a general
> >   comment that readers of this list might find interesting.
> >   debian-ports offers a valuable service to Debian and is in need of a
> >   few more helping hands. Unfortunately, no arguing against the lack of
> >   a corresponding official service are good substitute for those.
>
> Sure, you have a point. Yet it seems rather strange that in view of
> SC#4, a "transition" from a Debian-sponsored infrastructure to an
> independent-maintained one be considered "fine" ...
> BTW, I'm grateful to Aurélien for putting up this infrastructure already.
>
> > 2) debian-ports cannot at present host new architectures, due to a lack
> >   of: a) disk space, b) people power to do the disk replacement at the
> >   hosting site in Paris. (I've good news on that though, read on)
> >
> >> I would normally not bother you with such port-specific problems,
> >> especially when the discussion is so fresh, but:
> >> a) It is my firm belief that we're going to harm our users, and thus
> >> Social Contract #4 is at stake
> >
> > You're right. Any removal of any kind from the Debian archive harms the
> > user of the component that gets removed, be it a set of packages or,
> > more painfully, a whole architecture. Unfortunately that does not mean
> > we can keep everything in Debian given that our resources, be them
> > hardware- or people-related, are not unlimited.
>
> I'm fully aware of this. Please understand I'm not only questioning
> the decision itself, I'm also questioning the process that led to this
> decision (read on).
>
> > That is why sometimes we have to establish rules for what can stay and
> > what should go. It is my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong)
> > that hppa has to go according to previously announced rules for
> > architecture keeping or dropping.
>
> Actually, I think this is the main point of contention: as far as I
> can see from the numerous emails I've re-read to make sure I didn't
> miss anything, it *never* was an option that hppa be removed from the
> archive (i.e. that the autobuilders be stopped and the unstable

This possibility was mentioned by ftp master here:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-hppa/2011/01/msg00004.html

And further discussed here:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-hppa/2011/01/msg00007.html

And discussed in the IRC porter meeting that was held on 2011.02.01.

Personally, I don't know how much time I'm willing to commit to an
"unstable-only" port. Right now it is nice that we can run lenny on
buildds to build sid - but when lenny ceases to get updates, what will
our buildds run? And, realistically, how will users install new
systems? There's no guarantee that you can install lenny and upgrade
to sid w/o going through squeeze first.

   -dann