Re: Request for help: upgrade Woody -> Sarge

Hi,

Unrelated to 64-bit kernel/libc6 mess, I was pointed at the hppa
release notes:
	http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/hppa/release-notes/ap-kernel-upgrade-howto.en.html

| Make your system bootable
|	You will probably have to adapt your boot loader configuration
|	/etc/palo.conf. Note that the kernel now uses an initrd while
|	the Debian kernels in woody did not.

If this step needs to happen, it can only happen *after* we have booted
the new kernel and know the new name of the root/boot disk (and other devices
listed in /etc/fstab).

| Reboot to the new kernel
| Check your system
|	Check especially input devices, display devices, devices needed
|	to access the sarge packages (i.e. network adaptors, CD drives,
|	etc). Some driver modules may have been renamed, some drivers
|	which have been compiled into the old kernel might now be
|	compiled as modules, ...

This should read:
Before Rebooting the new kernel
	o do NOT delete the old kernel
	o note the root disk SCSI ID, device model, size, partition layout.
	o verify /bin/bash or /bin/sash is installed.

Reboot the new Kernel
	If the system boots and all entries in /etc/fstab are correct, great!
	Move on to checking networking devices.

	In case instructions below are not clear, more help on palo and
	"how to boot" is available:
		http://www.pateam.org/parisc-linux-boot/doc.html

	If the system can't find the root disk when booting the new kernel,
	reset the system and interact with palo on the next boot attempt.
	o Add "initrd=/bin/bash" (or "initrd=/bin/sash") parameter.
	o Change "root=" to your best guess for the new root disk.
          You may have to reset the machine several times depending
	  on how obvious the new name of the root disk is.

	Check console output for SCSI ID, device model, and partition
	table entries that match the ones you noted before.
	Normally those should be sufficient clues to determine the new disk.

	Once booted to /bash prompt, fixup the fstab and palo.conf:
	# mount -o remount,rw /
	# vi /etc/fstab
	# vi /etc/palo.conf
	# palo
	# exec init 2

	Fix up the networking (Hint: nameif is your friend) and any
	other issues (e.g drivers missing). Then reboot again
	to verify fstab and palo entries are correct.

hth,
grant