Re: Printing

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:22:40PM +0200, Jean-Francois Gobin wrote:

> I guess an inheritance from PC world where you can have compatibility,
> bidirectionnal, ECP and ECC. Those are different flavours of parallel
> conversation, stating in/out and so on.
>
> A try you can made is to send stuff directly to /dev/lp0 (or /dev/lp1) and
> see if the printer reacts. If it's a normal printer, just send text (ls
> / >/dev/lp0 should perform fine). If it's a postscript printer, send a .ps
> file to it. Normally, it should start printing the stuff you sent.
>
> BTW, does a lsmod show the lp modules or do you have them directly
> compiled in the kernel ?

Printing is running smoothly now, bugreports are out.
One problem remains:

* Upon boot, the module "parport" is loaded, used by "lp" (which is
  also loaded)
* Unfortunately the printer only starts working if I "modprobe
  parport_gsc" -- which entry in /etc/modutils/* is needed for this to
  work automagically.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V A)   Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite Campus Virchow-Klinikum                 Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155