Avoiding that in the future Was: A smallish transition needed for haskell libraries

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 15.01.2009, 01:10 +0200 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> I need to repackage the upsteam GHC tarball, removing gmp-4.2.1.tar.gz
> from it and name the new version as 6.8.2dfsg1.  Not the usual
> "+dfsg1", since when it is like this, it compares below 6.8.2+ with
> dpkg (thanks again, Eugene).  Most libraries use Depends: ghc6 (<<
> 6.8.2+) and this will work along with the new ghc6 version number.

I’m wondering if there is a smart way to prevent that in the future,
i.e. starting with ghc-6.10.1 Is using ghc6 (<< 6.8.2+) considered a
clean solution, or is it still a hack?

An alternative could be virtual packages, so ghc6 version 6.10.1-* would
"Provide: ghc-6.10.1", and the libraries depend unversioned on that
virtual package. This way we can decouple the actual package version
from the ghc compatibility statement and avoid such problems in the
future.

Does that sound like a good idea?