Re: Resolution Switching

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:36:47PM -0700, randy none wrote:
> Request: Quick switching of resolution to 320x240
>
> Is there any method to change the x-windows
> enviroment's resolution to 320x240 in the debian
> chroot?
>
> The desktop is either antialiased to small when in
> 640x480, or I have to scroll around to manipulate the
> terminal windows.

Not at this time. I had been looking at a couple of options to work on
this.

I had tried a hacked window manager (xfwm), with fbvnc informing the
window manager of the current viewport, and then having the window
manager use this information to specify the visible area in a
pseudo-Xinerama configuration. This way, any new opened apps or menus
stay within the currently visible area.

The correct solution would probably be to use the RandR extension
(rotation and resizing), but as far as I can tell the Xf4vnc server does
not support it. I'm planning to look into this, but due to not knowing
much about X11 internals that will take a long time. Help here would be
really appreciated.

I'm currently redoing the fbvnc scaling code, here's a snapshot if you're
curious about it. It supports fractional scales, i.e. 4:3 downscaling,
which gives you a lot more flexibility. It has a few known bugs which may
leave you with a misconfigured display, so please add the command "chvt 1"
at the end of the Fbvnc shell script (or however you launch it) to get
you back to the original virtual terminal if it crashes.

  http://pocketworkstation.org/files/fbvnc-arm-experimental-2004-08-03.gz

> I own a Zaurus sl-5500 and the debian environment only
> lets me do 640x480 minimum. Attemting to change it to
> 320x240 through zvncserver doesn't fully work.

What do you mean by "doesn't fully work"? I'd expect it to be able to use
a 240x320 desktop, but the small size would probably cause some
applications to not work well.

> I think that the pocket debian enviroment is great,
> kudos to Klaus Weidner and anyone who contributed to
> it. If it weren't for the resolution problem I
> mentioned, I would use the zaurus alot more with the
> debian chroot environment.

Thanks :-)

I'm still working on it, but don't have much time to do so unfortunately.

-Klaus