SDR HF transceivers (well-)supported by debian?

I want to get into HF digital modes. I don't want to spend a ton (in
either money or space) on hardware. Plus I want to do some DSP
experiments of various kinds.

And obviously I'm a longtime Debian user. I'm a General licensed ham,
but only recently and with basically no practical experience.

I'm thinking about getting one of these pre-built SDR kits:

    http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=13

Do these Softrock things work well with the Debian Ham packages? How
about the digital stuff, in particular everything needed to get Winlink
running? (I guess winmor is the...protocol?...here.) How much
computational hardware does this need? I was going to use an old laptop
to avoid tying up my main machine(s).

It sounds like the computer->txrx connection is USB, while the
txrx->computer is via audio cable. On the other side of the transceiver,
I guess I need a power supply, an amp(?) and an antenna. Am I missing
anything?