Re: Starting DBus from gnome-session instead of Xsession

On Sun, May 06, 2007, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> For me it doesn't make sense. DBus aims to be more generic than just
> for gnome. You didn't make really clear why it should be started from
> gnome-session instead of during the X start-up. If you try to sneak in
> extra information into DBus' environment, that could be annoying for
> people who use an occasional gnome program, but do not use
> gnome-session.

 gnome-session is the canonical way to properly start a GNOME session,
 with a working GNOME stack.  If a normal GNOME session needs dbus, then
 I find it quite normal that gnome-session spawns it instead of relying
 on the distributor to integrate dbus in the startup before
 gnome-session.
   In fact, you can go even farther and say that each individual
 application needing the session dbus should arrange for it being
 present, which is the case with recent DBus: but this is already solved
 by newer DBus which will spawn a session dbus if any app needs to
 access it.

 Yes, starting dbus from gnome-session is a broken design, but it will
 work in more cases than the current way of starting it, and it will
 more consistent across distributions; I think we would benefit from
 switching to this startup style.

--
Loïc Minier