.la files

Hi,

I'm sure most of us agree that .la files are truly evil, but removing
them from the archive is somewhat tricky.  As we've seen with the recent
Xcursor debacle, you can't just remove them from lower libraries without
everything above it falling apart.

I propose that pkg-gnome take the bold step of refusing to ship .la
files, and start their removal straight away.  To be polite this should
be done from the higher level libraries downwards: I've just removed
the .la file from libloudmouth1-dev, as I don't believe anything will be
effected.  We could probably remove the .la files from
evolution-data-server in the next upload, as I also think that would be
safe.  In this manner we can slowly remove the files until we're all the
way down to GTK+, and finally we will be free!  Free of the cursed files
of doom!

Comments?

Ross
--