Re: debug symbols for gnome apps

        Hi,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, Stephen Kennedy wrote:
> What do you think?

 Yes, that would be nice.  There are some technical limitations though:
 - Packages.gz would grow a bit more, and people are already living in
   pain because of its huge size
 - it probably requires building the packages two times (one optimized
   version without debugging symbols, one non-optimized with them), and
   would hit the slow arches horribly
 - means more overhead to the packagers / maintainers in maintaining
   such as setup (dependencies, conflicts and stuff)

 I think this should be implemented outside of the archive, eg. in some
 additional repository, perhaps for popular arches only (did I say
 i386?).  The procedure would be similar to backports, and one would
 simply have to rebuild the source with:
    DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="nostrip noopt"

   Bye,

--