Re: gnome and smb/cifs

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 14:54 +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:

> eog works for me.

I am using GNOME 2.8 (Sarge - as I want to use that for my customers)
and EOG seems to add the smb:// as a suffix to the users home directory.
Maybe you are using 2.10?

Or have I mis-configured something?

> The problem with AbiWord and many others is that they
> aren't hooked up to GNOME-VFS yet.

apt-cache rdepends libgnomevfs2-0 | grep abiword

Suggests otherwise, but maybe it doesn't really use it as you say. The
problem is made worse because each application fails differently.

I was hoping someone on the list would have had a working solution for
GNOME 2.8/Sarge/Kernel 2.6/SMB/CIFS because I haven't found it yet

>  In that respect, GNOME is /way/ behind
> KDE. There is not much you can do about this, except for, probably,
> nagging the developers to implement GNOME-VFS.

Hmmm I am heading that way soon. I have just posted on gnome-vfs to try
and understand what their objectives are. Just hope I am not entering a
minefield with a blindfold on.