Almost all Gnome icons have disappeared - help?

Hi list,

Recently I found that all of the icons on my Gnome desktop (even Trash)
and in every Nautilus window have turned into the default "blank sheet
of paper" icon.  If I select a file in a Nautilus window and choose
Properties from the context menu, I can choose a custom icon myself with
no problem.  File type is still reported correctly, and images still
have thumbnails of themselves shown for their icons.  Restarting Gnome
doesn't help.

Is there a known bug about this?  Maybe related to the recent
mime-support package upgrade (although the changelog entry looks very
harmless)?  I'm running Debian unstable (updated daily) on powerpc.

regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544