gnome 2.6 upgrade report (bad news)

Having just struggling through upgrading to gnome 2.6 in experimental, I
have a bad report to put through. GNOME (and Debian) has a ways to go
before it's acceptable for Aunt Tillie.

- God I hate aptitude. That has nothing to do with gnome, but I really
  dislike how it pretends to be as smart as me and is *WRONG*.

- gdm told me its version didn't match the greeter, or some such
  nonsense, and told me to reboot my machine. Unacceptable - gdm
  should know enough to restart itself.

- Upon restarting gdm manually, I got into a situation that the panel
  refused to start ("The panel's already running, so I won't start!",
  and apparently gnome-settings-daemon was respawning uncontrollably.
  This was apparently because bonobo-activation-daemon needed to
  be killed. Also unacceptable; it should be killed on startup if it
  is an "old" version, and destroyed on shutdown also.

- Minor nitpicks: my bluecurve theme seems to no longer use readable
  menu highlights on GTK+ 2.4. Bluecurve is from the
  gtk2-engines-wonderland package, so that's definitely a debian bug.

The bonobo-activation problem is a particularly troubling one. What can
we do about it?

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Just admit to yourself that you're a thief: http://me.woot.net/stealing.html