Re: Names, -common vs. -data

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:

> From: Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Names, -common vs. -data
>
> Chipzz <chipzz@ULYSSIS.Org> writes:
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >> Is there a difference between -common and -data? I noticed (while building
> >> GTK+ 2.4 debs for ppc) that glib/atk have -data and pango has -common. Was
> >> not sure, so thought I should ask.
> > I wondered that too, and extracted the gtk and atk packages into a temp
> > dir with dpkg-deb -x. It appears they contain the translations. Why
> > exactly those aren't included in the main packages, I don't
> > understand.
>
> Debian supports more than one arch. Moving the translation data to the
> "main" package would lead to a situation where the binary for an arch
> contains a big chunk which is also in the package for another arch.
> The -common, -data and -doc packages are Architecture: all. They are
> built once and stored once. This saves space on the mirrors and
> (sometimes, when the build process for this data can be separated from
> the build process of the binaries) lowers the load on our buildd
> machines.
>
> Marc

I know all that. What I meant is, I was (mistakenly) under the impres-
sion that most debian packages had that data in their main package, so I
thought gtk+ was the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway, it seems we have more than 2 options:

o Some packages do put that data in their main packages: libgtop2
o Some packages put their data in a package resembling the name of the
base package: gtkhtml3.[01]
o in -common
o in -data

Oh and btw, whats the difference between arch: all and arch: any?

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny