Re: New buttons in GTK filesel

Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:
> >      + use the new file selector (Closes: #203677, #201429, #201507).
>
> Seeing this in action was quite disappointing. The new buttons take up
> a lot of screen real estate and are entirely worthless for people who
> don't use GNOME
>
> I understand that this is really an upstream issue, but perhaps Debian
> should make the file selector only show the buttons pointing to paths
> that actually exist.  Or better yet (IMHO), only show the buttons in
> the first place if ~/.gnome or whatever other directory where these
> things are found exists. I've always believed that GTK should be
> independent from GNOME, though.

I don't really see that it has much connection with `gnome users' -- if
the buttons are just shortcuts to particular directories, you'd think
they'd work fine in any GTK app as long as the directories exist.

Morever, there are probably many `gnome users' -- people who use gnome
apps (I'm one!) -- that do not want either the directories or the buttons.

I think your first suggestion, to only show the buttons for which
directories exist, is much better, and does directly address the
problem.

Ideally, you could simply make a list somewhere of your personal
`useful directories' and have the file browser show buttons for them
(if they exist :-); I see no reason to limit people to these especially
horrible names.

> Should I file a bug about this?

I think that would be a good idea.

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research