Re: source package order for building GNOME 2.8 ?

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 21:00:17 +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> I want to build GNOME 2.8 packages for my hppa but noticed what appears to
> be circular dependencies that prevent me from upgrading -dev components
> and then building the rest on top.  As such, I would really like to know
> if anyone has a HOW-TO listing exactly which source packages should be
> built in which order?

Have a look at
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/jhbuild/modulesets/gnome28.modules
which can be visualised into something like
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/notes/depends.png
(e.g. through "jhbuild dotty" and springgraph or graphviz).

You can derive a build order by doing a topological sort
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_sort) of the dependency
information in there.

Start with libxml2 (as it has no dependencies), strike out libxml2 from the
dependencies, continue with libxslt (which has no dependencies anymore),
then gtk-doc-tools, then glib, then atk and pango, then gtk+ etc. etc.

HTH,
Ray
--
Frankly, I think anybody's a fool to put (Microsoft operating system
Windows) XP on their computer. It's like installing a continuous, 24-hour