volume control of Volume vs. PCM

Hello.

In GNOME 2.4, when I mapped some multimedia keys on my keyboard to
Volume up and Volume down, pressing them on my workstation (emu10k1)
changed the PCM level. As I have a 4.1 system, it changed all of the
speakers simultaneously, which was great.

On my laptop (ThinkPad R31, so I guess it's AC97 for sound) pressing
them changed the Volume level instead; I thought that the difference
was a result of different hardware/driver used, but I didn't mind, as
the laptop is a two-speaker system anyway (so changing Volume level
means effectively the same thing as changing PCM level).

Unfortunately, after the upgrade to GNOME 2.6 (and the migration of the
multimedia keys handling from acme to capplets), the volume buttons at
the workstation stopped changing the PCM level and started to change the
Volume level, which means that I have to use the hardware volume knob
instead (otherwise I change only the volume of the front speakers).

I checked both gnome-media and capplets buglists, and people do have
some strange issues with the mixer, but nothing seems to cover my
problem. I wanted to check with you before submitting a bug - maybe
I can set whether the volume control changes PCM or Volume and simply
don't know how to do this?

Also, the small speaker-and-a-bar display shown when changing the volume
(the one being overlayed on top of the screen each time I press one of
the volume keys) is positioned in the upper-left corner of the sceen
on the first keypress, and gets back to the center only on subsequent
presses of the volume keys. Which package is responsible for this
widget?

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--