Re: Summary: How to fix the gnome startup issues

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Luis M wrote:

> 2. rm -fr ~/.gnome* ~/.gconf* ~/.gtk* ~/.icons* ~/.themes*. In other words,

Why do people always insist on rm'ing stuff??? mv stuff to another
directory, so you can try to diagnose the problem later. How do you
expect the problem to ever get fixed if you tell people to rm their
settings?

Valid point. My appologies. However, some of us just care about having things working (don't ask why are we using Debian "unstable" then :-) ). And it's very frustrating to try to debug a problem so sneaky as this one is. .xsession-errors have some crazy errors that sometimes are real and sometimes just false positives. Searching them in Google or any other archive yields nothing concrete.
But yeah, i usually move stuff to "old", kill all processes and login again.
Sometimes the problem is not in one's home though.

#2 should then read:
2. mkdir ~/old && mv ~/.gnome* ~/.gconf* ~/.gtk* ~/.icons* ~/.themes* ~/old/ ...

As suggested in the summary in other key for X related config files ;-)

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

Luis Mondesi
System Administrator
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@hotmail.com

"...The Mac does this so smoothly, it feels like an extension of your mind." - Paula Speer, MacWorld Magazine 2003-04

Public signature: http://www.latinomixed.com/lems1/public-a.asc

MSN Messenger : discutez en direct avec vos amis ! http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp