gnome-theme-manager won't start up

hi

sorry to bother u twice a day: after replacing nautilus2 with
nautilus nautilus' working again - but there are no icons visible.
i've read somewhere else that installing gnome-icon-themes fixes
that - but it doesn't in my case. when i read in this list that one
could change the look auf nautilus through the gnome-theme-manager,
i fired it up - well, at least i tried to. he doesn't start, neither
when clicking it in the menu nor when typing it in CLI - the strange
thing to me is that there is no error message - after a short time
there is a task in the panel saying "starting them[hidden]", but
this task disappears and i am back at the prompt - with an empty
line as the only result of my trials.

any help appreciated - though it doesn't hurry due to my rare use of
nautilus.

mfg
Christian