Re: True Gnome2 workaround

At 19 Nov 2002 05:45:00 -0500,
Sean Harshbarger wrote:

> Until we can solve this bonobo, controcenter issue I have a failty easy
> way to get gnome2 back running.

Alternative way

If you already upgraded bonobo packages, add the followings to
/etc/apt/sources.list

 deb http://snapshot.apt.jp/archive pool bonobo-activation libbonoboui

Then run as follows:

 # apt-get update

 # apt-get install bonobo-activation=1.0.3-2.2 \
		libbonobo-activation4=1.0.3-2.2 \
		libbonoboui2-0=2.0.3-1 \
		libbonoboui2-common=2.0.3-1

So, you'll get safe bonobo packages again. Of course you should install
-dev packages as well if needed.
Note the version number can be found by using apt-cache show <package>
after you did apt-get update.

Once you installed, you can remove above apt line from /etc/apt/sources.list.

if you get safe bonobo packages back or if you didn't yet ugpraded
bonobo packages, just hold it
   # echo bonobo-activation hold | dpkg --set-selections
   # echo libbonobo-activation4 hold | dpkg --set-selections
   # echo libbonobo-activation-dev hold | dpkg --set-selections
   # echo libbonoboui2-0 hold | dpkg --set-selections
   # echo libbonoboui2-common hold | dpkg --set-selections
   # echo libbonoboui2-dev hold | dpkg --set-selections

So, apt-get won't upgrade these packages until you reset hold.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI

PS.  I've found some problem in snapshot.debian.net Packages.gz files.
There miss Size: field, so apt-get failed to install packages as above ways
because apt-get complained size mismatch.  I've fixed this at least
bonobo-activation and libbonoboui, so this should work.
I'm fixing Packages.gz files for another packages.
(it needs much time because we have so many packages...)