Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

<quote who="Steve M. Robbins">

> First of all, I don't know that the transition will *ever* be smooth
> from G1->G2.  I appreciate that folks are hard at work on this.  For
> the moment however, the promise of a smooth transition is vapourous.
> It seems foolhardy to base a strategy on the premise that "things will
> just work out".

If you're not willing to help make it happen, then sure. Your call.

> Right now, gnome-terminal 1.4 has vanished from SID.  It needs to be
> restored if a new debian revision should be required for whatever reason.
>
> Finally, if the transition does become truly smooth, then Debian can
> provide a "gnome2 task" (or dummy package, or similar mechanism) to do the
> upgrade.

Both of those are things that need to be addressed as soon as possible.
Replacing G1D components with G2D components piecemeal is foolish, and I
have no idea why Christian is taking this approach.

However, for future versions of Debian (rather than just migration
strategies in sid or whatever), there would be no point continuing to
support G1D components - *unless* the Debian maintainers of those components
were willing to become the upstream developers. GNOME will not continue to
support those versions in perpetuity.

If you could explain your reasoning behind your belief that Debian should
continue to include G1D stuff in future distribution releases, perhaps that
would help us understand.

- Jeff

--
    "Think video. Think text flickering over your walls. Think games at
    work. Think anything where a staid, link-based browser is useless."