Re: Debian apps in GNOME menu

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 01:39:44AM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:

> > Right. I also like the Debian menu system for being consistent and finding
> > everything in there. It works well for simple text and no translation.
>
> Translation worked fine for me when I tried it.  If it didn't work for
> you, it was either operator error or a bug.  If the latter, it should
> have been reported.

It probably was a bug. The example did not work either. That documentation
is missing is the real bug even if it works today.

> I tried for days.  Haven't got a clue how to create a menu item in
> Gnome, though I confess I haven't looked very hard.

It's even more easy...

> Not a very interesting fact to me, since I don't use Gnome.  I don't
> even particularly like Gnome.  I do like GTK+, and I maintain Orbit
> for Debian because I'm interested in CORBA (not Gnome).

That's not the point. I think we should provide menus which do not need a run
over the whole menu structure whenever a new item is inserted into the menu.

> If you want to make a menu system that is windowmanager independent
> (and isn't even limited to windowmanagers -- I've been contempating a
> menu-method for emacs), you'll *need* something like update-menus.

Sure.

> Period.  Or you'll need to rewrite all existing programs, and all new
> programs that might appear, to use your common format.  Don't hold
> your breath.  :-)

What I would suggest is moving to a single common format be it the format used
by gnome or by kde. Then generate menus for other window managers with a kind
of update-menus replacement.

> It will also generate menus for an individual user.  Run it as that
> user.

So you tell me I have to educate my users? Thanks. And I can also tell them
how to work in textmode. But I don't want to and my users don't want to.
This is just inconvenient.

> I disagree completely with this view.  One of the reasons Linux is so
> successful is that it is extremely compatible with 30 years of Unix
> development.  The "commercial" (I assume you actually mean proprietary
> here) software companies generally want to lock you in, and will
> introduce incompatibilities with other systems (and even their own
> older systems) as often as they can get away with it.

But we have to move on and this is often lacking.

> That's why hints were added.  And I'm fairly sure that Gnome has
> NOTHING like hints!  Why?  Because Gnome has a more limited,
> technically inferior menu system.

But it does not provide what I need. Gnome's does.

cu
    Torsten