Re: question about build-depends > depends

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 12:40:10PM +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> Le ven. 5 janv. 2024 à 12:35, Nilesh Patra <nilesh@debian.org> a écrit :
>
> > On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 11:58:01AM +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> > > Please correct me if I'm wrong:
> > > a golang-xx-dev package will have its direct go dependencies:
> > > - in Build-Depends source package (along with other test, build ones)
> > > - also in Depends golang-xx-dev package
> >
> > Yes, just like standard debian packages in other teams like Javascript.
> >

> I can't see how go and js packages are alike :)

I meant just like a JS module needs to declare runtime dependencies (from package.json)
in d/control - it is same in golang as well. The rules play the same.

> > However I've seen several golang-*-dev packages not doing that,
> > > maybe I'm missing something ?
> >
> > Which ones?
> >

> That one, but last week I think I saw some others I don't remember
> https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-golang-mock

I looked that up. This seems to have two parts:
- A lib package
- Mockgen binary

The dependencies specified in go.mod is used only in mockgen binary and can
be omitted since everything is statically linked.

Regarding the -dev package, I still see it vendoring "/usr/share/gocode/src/github.com/golang/mock/mockgen/"
This is likely a mistake. As per the documentation, the gomock part would be used for library code, which
does not have any dependency on x/mod or x/tools.

HTH.

Best,