Re: Intend to revert golang-google-grpc in unstable

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 2:52 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 6/25/23 11:54, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
> > Hi zigo,
> >
> > You golang-google-grpc 1.38.0 to unstable, which was experimental previously.
> > It's great to see you want to work on this transition. But I fail to
> > see the following work to make golang-google-grpc migrate to testing.
>
> The page:
> https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=golang-google-grpc
>
> shows no issue, apart from #1026139, which I just fixed. Let's see.

I have already told you that there are many regressions which were
shown on the experimental excuse. Since the experimental version has
been cruft, you can't see it now. I pinged you on IRC on the day that
experimental excuse still exists, but you miss that.

> > Besides, you drop the protoc-gen-go-grpc binary package without any
> > explanation.
>
> I can't remember why I did this. What is this binary for?

It's to generate go grpc bindings.

> > Could you keep exploring this transition in experimental?
>
> No. I would like to see etcd in unstable ASAP, and it's not my intention
> to delay my uploads further. If we have problems to fix in other
> packages that aren't being addressed, these will be auto-RM at some
> point, and that is a good thing. Let's fill RC bugs instead of reverting
> this upload.
>
> > There's
> > pseudo regression reports for experimental.
> > https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?experimental=1&package=golang-google-grpc
> > Please take a look at this package before uploading to unstable. There
> > are many regressions for your golang-google-grpc 1.38.0 upload. (Since
> > the version in experimental has been cruft, so the page is blank
> > currently).
>
> Let's fix whatever we see.
> Please do not revert this upload.

Why don't you work on the experimental suite until the major packages
have been ready to migrate?

Go packages are sensitive for the unstable suite. If some essential
packages can't migrate to testing, they will block other packages from
migrating, due to the Built-Using mechanism. For example, if some
security releases for packages like docker, podman have been
published, these packages will be stuck at unstable.

--
Shengjing Zhu