Re: r1026 - in glibc-package/trunk/debian: . debhelper.in local/etc_init.d rules.d script.in

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:56:34PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > > Check is used for example glibc mets invalid kernel version like
> > > 2.6.1220050825 or glibc detects pre 2.4.24 running kernel on real
> > > i386 architecture that does not support an important instruction.

Either of these are just as likely to prevent the init.d script from
running entirely (in fact I'm nearly positive that you won't get
through rcS with either of these problems).  That's why I don't think
the init.d script is useful.

> Why don't we need to have libc6.preinst scripts that checks kernel
> version?  Don't you use your own compiled kernel or old kernel?
> /etc/init.d/glibc.sh just extends it to each kernel boot time.  It's
> simple, and useful for not only libc6 installation time but also each
> boot time.

It's simple, but it will rarely or never work.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC