How to use the LANGUAGE environment variable

[I had first posted this on debian-user, but did not receive any
helpful replies.]

According to the glibc reference manual, LANGUAGE can contain a
colon-separated list of locales to indicate their order of preference.

However, the behaviour I observed is different from what I expected.
(see the table; tested with "cat -h", which produces a short error message)
LANGUAGE seems to have no effect when I leave LANG unset,
so I did the experiment with LANG=de_DE and LANG=en_GB.

                  +---------+---------+
  LANGUAGE  LANG> | de_DE   | en_GB   |
     V            |         |         |
+-----------------+---------+---------+
| en_GB           | english | english |
| de_DE           | german  | german  |
| en_GB:de_DE     | german  | german  |  <- this seems strange to me
| de_DE:en_GB     | german  | german  |

With LANGUAGE=en_GB:de_DE, I would have expected English output
rather than German.

Is this a misunderstanding on my part about how LANGUAGE works,
or should I report this as a bug in glibc/locales/gettext?

Mirko