Bug #220867

Bug #220867 concerns various programs putting out the following error
message:

ld.so: Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno or h_errno
directly.
ld.so: See /usr/share/doc/libc6/FAQ.gz.

You closed the bug with the following comment:

The application should continue to run for now, but when the warning
message is printed use of the NPTL threading library, and other new
kernel-2.6 features, are disabled.

I don't necessarily wish to reopen the bug but I would like to point out
the scenario I just encountered.

I use qmail, which uses the pop3d pop3 server.  pop3d calls a program
called checkpassword to verify the user's password.  When I updated my
server today, checkpassword started printing the error message above.
pop3d returned the error message and THEN the +OK message indicating a
successful login to my email client (Evolution.)  Evolution, seeing the
ld.so error message, believed the login was unsuccessful and halted the
attempt to download my mail.  Thus, checkpassword did continue to
function along with printing out the error message, but the error
message itself interfered with the communications between my MUA and the
pop3 server.  Bottom line - I was unable to check my email.

I was able to patch the source of checkpassword by grepping for the
"extern int errno", which appeared in a file called errno.h, and
replacing it with an #include directive for errno.h, then recompile and
correct the problem.

As I said, I don't necessarily want to reopen the bug but I did want to
point out that, in some circumstances, at least, the problem causes more
than just spurious error messages.