ds1 series libc crashing in wait()

I am having problems with programs crashing if they execute
sub-processes.  I believe the crash is happening when programs call
wait(), based on straces of the crashing programs.

I believe this problem is libc's fault, since it started happening when
I upgraded libc.  I don't upgrade very often, and yesterday I upgraded
to the latest sid libc.  The libc I upgraded from was before the ds1
series.

I am running this Debian installation in a chroot (inside a RedHat
installation, actually), so I tried bootstrapping another sid chroot
from scratch.  I get the same error; dpkg segfaults when it runs the
preinst for the first package.

$ uname -a
Linux trimble1dhcp30.ups.edu 2.6.0-0.test6.1.49 #1 Mon Oct 6 10:15:33 EDT 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Any other information I can provide?  Does this seem likely to be a libc
problem?

Josh