Re: Status of the GDAL Perl binding in Debian bookworm

Now merged in release notes for Bookworm.

https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/release-notes/-/merge_requests/176/diffs?commit_id=1105995f83d3255f2f6d2b33728e86cbe6efbc48

- cheers

On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 11:00:07AM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
Hi folks,

just in the (maybe) remote hypothesis that someone would be interested in the next generation binding for GDAL within the Perl ecosystem, I'm writing a brief
message about that.

The (well, almost) new FFI based interface available as Geo::GDAL::FFI can be installed on
bookworm and works, but it requires that ten (10) different other modules it depends on
find their way into main, including some Alien:: modules, in suitable order to
accomplish a full build.

Of course, all this is something that can be done under the hat of the Debian Perl team, but
it requires time and efforts. In the meantime (i.e. for the bookworm release) interested people will need to install via CPAN, but even that is quite articulated.

So, I wrote some brief notes on the Debian wiki for the brave hearted.

https://wiki.debian.org/BookwormGdalPerl