Da: Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl>
Data: 09/05/22 15:17 (GMT+01:00)
A: Debian GIS Project <debian-gis@lists.debian.org>
Oggetto: GDAL 3.5.0

The first two release candidates for GDAL 3.5.0 have been released.

The packaging got a significant overhaul to use CMake and remove its
many non-standard ways of doing things.

The symbols file is no managed with pkgkde-symbolshelper like our other
C++ packages with symbols files. No more waiting for snapshot.debian.org
to get the new libgdal packages before you can update the symbols with
gdal-symbols.pl, you now only have to wait for the build to complete.

The switch to CMake causes the removal of the static library, as only
Autotools builds both by default.

The packaging overhaul causes the use of Multi-Arch path for the library
files, the grass package needed an update for this as it symlinks the
library.

The 3.5.0 removes many deprecated drivers [0] (DOD which we removed
already, and CharLS which was removed in RC1), and the Perl bindings.

A bit annoying is the new drivers.ini file in the gdalplugins directory,
this is a subdirectory under /usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH) which would
suggest including the file in libgdal31 but that would make the package
no longer co-installable with libgdal32+ and complicate upgrades. Since
the Multi-Arch path is specific to the architecture, the file cannot be
included in gdal-data which is contains many other data files for
libgdal, hence the gdal-plugins package was introduced as a dependency
of libgdal31 to install this file.

The libgdal-grass package is also no longer generated from the gdal
source tree, it's now maintained in a separate upstream git repo where
the version was reset to 1.0.0 (for testing) [1]. If that stays we'll
need to use an epoch for the Debian package. My local working copy was
manipulated to use 3.5.0~rc1 for the time being.

Like gdal, the gdal-grass packaging also overhauled but since it still
uses Autotools just not as extensive. The packaging was updated to
support DESTDIR and debug symbols, and use the Multi-Arch path for the
gdalplugins. The VERSION check was also removed, this was a divergence
from upstream which is not required, we only need to ensure to rebuild
the package when the GDAL major or minor version changes. This will make
transitions easier as we won't have to upload a new revision of
libgdal-grass every time.

Rebuild tests are still TODO which may reveal some issues caused by the
changes for 3.5.0.

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2021-March/053590.html
[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal-grass/discussions/2

Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1