Re: sfcgal package for postgis and others

On 06/13/2015 05:06 PM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Sven Geggus <lists@fuchsschwanzdomain.de> wrote:
>
>> Way to late now to fix the rest
>
> Fixed another couple of lintian warnings.

Can you push your local changes to the repository on Alioth?

> We are down to those now:
>
> P: sfcgal source: debian-watch-may-check-gpg-signature
> P: libsfcgal-dev: no-upstream-changelog
> I: libsfcgal1: spelling-error-in-binary usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSFCGAL.so.1.1.0 inconsistant inconsistent
> I: libsfcgal1: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSFCGAL.so.1.1.0
> P: libsfcgal1: no-upstream-changelog
> I: libsfcgal1: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSFCGAL.so.1.1.0
> I: sfcgal-bin: spelling-error-in-binary usr/bin/viewer-SFCGAL informations information
> P: sfcgal-bin: no-upstream-changelog
>
> So lets work out how I could fix them.
>
> * I did not figure out what the debian-watch-may-check-gpg-signature
> means.  So I would need a hint there.

If the upstream releases also provide GPG signatures these can be
automatically verified by uscan when it can find the signature with the
pgpsigurlmangle option. See:

https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#pgpsigurlmangle

> * As far as the upstream-changelog is concerned I do not think there
> is more than the output of "git log" in master.  The "NEWS" file in
> the root directory is definitely not up-to date.

To prevent this lintian issue I recommended to install NEWS file.
Ideally upstream follows its own release procedure which documents
updating the NEWS file as the first step.

http://oslandia.github.io/SFCGAL/dev.html

Since no-upstream-changelog is a pedantic tags you don't have to fix it.

Found it: https://github.com/Oslandia/SFCGAL/pull/77

> * no-symbols-control-file seems to be a hard on. I found this page:
> http://aerostitch.github.io/linux_and_unix/debian/lintian_no-symbols-control-file.html
> but dpkg-gensymbols does not seem to work for me. So I guess I would
> need another hint here.

You can unpack the library package with:

 mkdir /tmp/libsfcgal
 dpkg-deb -R ../libsfcgal1_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb /tmp/libsfcgal1

And generate the initial symbols file with:

 dpkg-gensymbols -plibsfcgal1 -v1.1.0 -Odebian/libsfcgal1.symbols \
                 -e/tmp/libsfcgal1/usr/lib/*/lib*.1

The extended info of the lintian tag includes some links that you should
read:

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/no-symbols-control-file.html
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=dpkg-gensymbols&sektion=1
https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles

Since your packaging a shared library it's imported to understand the
Policy requirements as documented in chapter 8:

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

And also see the Advanced packaging appendix of the Debian New
Maintainers' Guide:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/advanced.en.html#library

This also references the Debian Library Packaging Guide which is also a
good read:

https://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html