Re: netCDF Strategy

On 03/05/2015 07:22 PM, Nico Schlömer wrote:
>> I assumed you'd continue with netcdf itself.
>
> Ah okay, I thought it was mainly done!

Ross merged the split-c-f-cxx branch into the master branch, but also
assumed you'd continue there with 4.3.3 final. See his last message in
this thread.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2015/02/msg00028.html

Since you did so much great work on the package already, it seemed
obvious you'd like to take the final steps too. We had some misaligned
expectations here.

> I've now imported 4.3.3.1 into the upstream and master branches;
> everything appears to work fine.
>
> Since this is my first upload, I'm not entirely sure how to proceed
> from here. If you could send me a link or two, I'll be happy to
> walk through the process.

To get your packages uploaded to the Debian archive you need to get
the upload sponsored by a DD or a DM with permissions for that package.

Package sponsorship is coordinated using the mentors.debian.net
infrastructure, see:

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

Since netCDF is included in the Debian GIS Blend, I'll gladly sponsor
the upload. You don't need to find a sponsor in the greater mentors
pool outside the team. If I'm too busy or otherwise unavailable,
Andreas Tille is also available for sponsorship via his Sponsoring of
Blends initiative.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends/SoB

I'm currently a bit busy with the new JOSM release and the FTBFS of
QGIS on arm*, but I will make sure to also review the netCDF package
in the next three days.

IIRC the new netCDF release has a SONAME bump which will require a
transition coordinated with the Release Team. All reverse dependencies
of netCDF need to be tested to make sure they all still build
successfully with the new netCDF version.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions
https://release.debian.org/transitions/

Since the Release Team is currently occupied with getting the jessie
release finalized, we don't have to worry about the netcdf transition
much yet. Once the package is available in experimental we can start
testing and fixing whatever breaks.

- --