Re: MapServer 6.2 / 6.4 installation on Debian 7

Hi Andreas, hi Bas,

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

> a version of 6.4.0 is in testing ...
> You might like to try this package on top of stable which
> might or might not work.
I was warned that using apt-get for mixing packages from testing with
stable might lead to break things.

>The alternative is to backport the package
>which is maintained in Git.
If someone creates a backport, how apart from hosting it at a private
server for others to download could that help DebianGIS?

http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/ says
"Please note, that you are responsible for this backport from the time
on when it was accepted on debian-backports. This means, you have to
keep track of the changes in unstable, update your backport when a new
version enters testing and provide security updates when needed."

That's a high hurdle, so there will not be an official backport from
me nor my colleague from Berlin. This is too much.

http://mentors.debian.net would need a sponsor.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg
<sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I'm running a backport of MapServer 6.2.1 and MapCache 1.0.0 on my
> wheezy server.
Thanks, good to know someone reachable managed to get this run.

> Backporting MapServer 6.4.0 and MapCache 1.2.0 to wheezy is an option,
> but the MapServer support for MapCache is currently not optimal. The
> mapserver package is patched to export a CMake module which is included
> in the MapCache build. But this relies on the module named being case
> sentitive, since the unpatched MapCache already contains support for
> linking to MapServer 6.2.1, the CMake module is only required for
> MapServer 6.4.0.
>
> If you don't need MapCache, or don't need its MapServer support and just
> use WMS, you can simple rebuild the packages from testing on wheezy.
> You'll need to change a few package names in the build dependencies and
> disable the mapserver support, but that's about all that's required.

I think I need MapCache, there are several movable maps with markers
on the website.

So there are two inofficial options
- 6.2.x, which has been released as part of the suite (MapServer +
TinyOWS + MapCache)

- 6.4 which is in testing, but was not released as a suite and needs
CMake which has some issues

http://mapserver.org/development/announce/6-4.html
"The MapServer Team is pleased to announce the release of MapServer
6.4.0 and MapCache 1.2.0" - so no update on TinyOWS.

MapCache and TinyOWS are not found via the package search:
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=mapcache
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=tinyows

Someone will help me to install MapServer and probably the other
software this weekend 2013-11-09--10. Server is Debian 7.2 and has
Apache 2.2.22, PostgreSQL 9.3.1.

Any additional hint is welcome.

Is there anything that might come out of the installation that is of
help for DebianGIS? There are probably more people that want MapServer
6.4 and MapCache 1.2 on Debian 7.

Bas, would you upgrade from your current backport to a 6.4 backport?
Or is 6.4 not worth the effort yet for you?

Kind regards
Tobias

--
Tobias Conradi