Google Summer of Code, working for you

Hi,

by way of a head's-up, the UbuntuGIS team have secured a
Google Summer of Code student to work for the summer improving
and updating their .deb packaging, and with an eye to setting
up a repository for new software releases backported to Wheezy.

"Enhancements to the DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS packages and
repositories"

  https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/jlarouche/16001

Jérôme starts coding shortly, mentored by Alan and Daniel. The
more we help the better results for everyone.

see some community wishlist and discussion of goals here:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.ubuntu/474

I believe the UbuntuGIS mailing list should be the primary
place for discussions about the project itself. It involves
us, and there's a good chance that one of $your packages will
be altered, so I hope interested parties will be available to
give Jérôme a hand when he needs it and provide some guidance
about what we want pushed upstream to us and what our DebianGIS-
stack plans are. (no point in duplicated effort or lots of work
put into an area which we've taken a strategic decision to bypass)

the timing wrt the debian release cycle is pretty great, I hope
we can make good use of this opportunity.

Communication, as always, is key.

regards,
Hamish
--