Re: [DebianGIS] Specific packages for SAR and earth observation

Hi Antonio,

I have to admit I have real problems to read your mails.  Your line breaking
is quite confusing and I hope I did not missed something in your response.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:10:34PM +0100, antonio.valentino@tiscali.it wrote:

> OK, let me know how I can contribute but, I repeat, I'm not an expert in
> licensing issues, so any contribute of mine should be carefully
> reviewed.

I have no idea what might make a licensing "expert".  For the moment it
might be sufficient to detect those programs with a clear license from
the well known set in /usr/share/common-licenses.  It would be good if
you could inspect the sources of the programs you proposed to include
for such licenses.

> > > Interested people can take a look to
> > >
> > > https://code.launchpad.net/~a.valentino
> > >
> > > for pre-built packages for Ubuntu 10.10 and to
> > >
> > > https://launchpad.net/~a.valentino/+archive/eotools
> > >
> > > for packaging source code (upstream source
> > > are not in the repo).
> >
> > Links to the packages in Launchpad can be given using the Pkg-URL
> > field (see [1]).
>
> OK

I injected three examples into

   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/gis/trunk/debian-gis/tasks/sar

with all the information I was able to find quickly.  In the case of
polsarpro I trusted your debian/copyright that it is GPL2.  In the case
of doris the web page says "free for non-commercial use" and your
copyright says GPL3.  I have not checked what is actually correct but I
left the more conservative non-free.  Feel free to correct me if you are
sure about this and copyright statement is clear.  I have not checked the
license for getorb just to safe time.

Please frogive my ignorance about launchpad but I have not found ready
to install deb packages.  So I simply directed the Pkg-URL field to the
debian/ packaging dir which is fine for the moment.  It just points the
interested reader to a location where the work is done.

> From my point of view yes, it would be nice to have a SAR section at the
> Debian GIS tasks pages and I will be happy to contribute as I can.  And
> yes, I'm not to much familiar with this kind of things so a couple of
> examples would be useful.

I hope the three examples I have given in SVN (see above) which are
rendered to

   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks/sar

will give you an idea what to do.  If you would like to edit the file
directly you need to become a member of Debian Blends team on Alioth but
sending me patches for the moment is perfectly fine.  Please inspect
carefully what I have written especially the description of the task
on top would need some more love (perhaps explaining in detail what SAR
means).  I also simply copied the web site text for the Pkg-Description
fields (I should rather have used the descriptions from your control
files - but I detected them to late).

If you feel some need you can also add some Remark fields in the same
syntax as Pkg-Description.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--